The Obese Life – Time to lose some excess baggage!
The Obese Life – Time to Lose the Excess Baggage
What is an Obese Life?
When we say the word obesity, immediately people think of body fat and all-you-can-eat buffets, which is totally correct – no argument here. In today’s post, I want to talk about a totally different kind of obesity – The Obese Life.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. – Hebrews 12:1
In Hebrews 12:1 Paul is not trying to start a new health club. He is encouraging this group of believers to take a look at their lives and start stripping off the excess baggage that is weighing them down.
This is the first verse following the famous passage of scripture in Hebrews 11 which showcases God’s champions of faith. The previous 40 verses talked about the some of the most amazing people ever to live, and he is calling the reader into their own life of awesomeness.
The Ball is in Your Court
He’s got his game face on, and it’s go time. We’re the special team that has been called out to pull off the winning score, and Paul knows that in order for that to happen we need to rid our lives of the unnecessary weight that is slowing us down.
We’re the special team that has been called out to pull off the winning score, and Paul knows that in order for that to happen we need to rid our lives of the unnecessary weight that is slowing us down.The obese life is marked by overindulging in areas serve only ourselves. These are the habits and behaviors that function like black holes to our purpose. They suck up all of our time and energy and give us nothing of eternal or even significant value in return.
The obese life is different for each person. You may not spend your day playing Call of Duty online, but you might spend an extra 20 hours in the office trying to get ahead. Your challenge is to ask yourself which behaviors are slowing you down and holding you back from reaching your destiny in life.
10 Common Areas Where People Overindulge Time & Energy
- Television – One movie a day adds up to over 10 hours a week, and so many of them also pollute the purity of your mind and spirit.
- Social Media – Phones, text messages, Facebook, twitter, instagram, LinkedIn, etc. They’re not bad, but you know how much time they’re sucking from significant activities.
- Fun – Trust me, I understand that we NEED fun in our lives, but we also need to always keep mindful of our greater calling. Most of us can slim down in this area for sure.
- Good Things – It’s easy to be overcommitted to good things. If you have a desire to serve, you can even serve your way right out of your purpose. The enemy of the best is the good.
- Grooming – There’s nothing wrong with looking good, or even great, but it shouldn’t be a part-time job. I’ve found that working from home can almost eliminate this problem entirely.
- Fitness – Unless you’re planning to be a pro athlete, the 2 hour workout isn’t benefiting anything but your pride. Go for a 30 minute power workout and get back to purpose.
- Hobbies – A lot of us have the tendency to get sucked into hobbies so completely that we all but forget the rest of the world exists. Once again, give that thing a salad.
- Unproductive Relationships – We should always be lifting others up, but we must also be conscious of the relationships that pull us away from our callings. Trim the fat.
- Running Errands – Some people just love to be out and about. You’d be amazed at how much time can be wasted running one quick errand. Try to consolidate.
- Anything Else – Organizing, Cleaning, Sports, Starbucks, Cooking, Going Out to Eat, you know your own life – what are yours?
Give yourself sixty seconds of silence right now to prayerfully think about the areas of your life where you need to cut back. Identify one of those areas and make a specific commitment stating how you’ll cut back.